Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Buttermilk Biscuits


I always look forward to weekday holidays, like yesterday, because my husband has time to share a leisurely breakfast with me. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day to indulge in. I would never eat a helping of sugar and flour for dinner, but for breakfast...bring on the pancakes and syrup!

I have been fantasizing about biscuits for weeks and yesterday was the perfect day to make those fantasies a reality. I have mentioned before that I have to watch my food intake very closely because I would rather cut off my arm than gain back all of the weight I worked so hard to lose.

That being said biscuits are really a special occasion in our house.

I really have not made many biscuits since my restaurant baking days, but it was like riding a bike...I just got right back on again; and man oh, man was I on! I baked from Betty Crocker's Cookbook and these biscuits were tender and flaky, not a single chewy bite. They browned perfectly and I buttered the tops...just like the old days when I didn't bother to count calories...and I sprinkled them with sea salt. I wish I had a rewind button...I would go back and enjoy them again.

Buttermilk Biscuits

1/4 Cup Crisco, or other shortening
1 Cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Evaporated Cane Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Buttermilk

Garnish
1 Tablespoon Butter, melted
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt

Pre-Heat oven to 450F.

Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda.

Cut in the shortening until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.

Stir in buttermilk and mix until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl, the mixture will be soft and sticky.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and knead once or twice to bring together and flatten out slightly to prepare for rolling.

Dust the top again with flour and roll into a 1/2 inch thick disk.

Flour your biscuit cutter and cut out as many biscuits as you can fit from the dough.**


Reshape the left over dough and cut again.

You will have a small amount of dough left that cannot be cut into a biscuit. Either bake it as is, or throw it away.

Place cut biscuits in a pan to bake. To make them rise higher have them touch on the sides, if not, place them about 1 inch apart on a baking sheet.

Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until golden on the tops.

Remove from the oven and brush the tops with butter and sprinkle with salt for flavor and shine.

This recipe makes about 4 biscuits, 3 inches in diameter.



**I borrowed this picture from another blog, Bread and Jam for Frances, and the picture links back to where it came from. I forgot to take pictures of the process, sorry.

1 comment:

Bronwen said...

Glad the photo suited your purposes and always happy to oblige a fellow biscuit lover. :)