Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Chocolate Zone


Some days I need chocolate. Yes, I said, need. Not want, not desire, but need. For those of you who can relate to this problem I have found an easy solution. A 90 second cake. Yep, one and a half minutes in the microwave and you , too, can be in the chocolate zone.

The chocolate zone is what happens when all of your senses are engaged: you smell the rich aroma of chocolate and sugar as you watch through the window as it rises to meet you, you hear the timer buzz, you plunge into the moist , fragrant goodness and savor the feel of it under your spoon, finally you inhale deeply after your tingling taste buds have been satiated with the first bite of sweet chocolate cake.

Oh, did I mention that you don't have to share? This is just enough for one.

You can thank my grandmother for sending this recipe on to me, she is always on the hunt for fabulous new things! I played with the recipe a little and made my version healthier...I couldn't resist, sorry! You can make this in a coffee mug or a small bowl; I opted for the bowl because it seemed easier to mix the ingredients in it. I inverted it onto a plate to take pictures, but you can enjoy it straight out of the microwave. Because, really, what is better than warm cake?

90 Second Chocolate Cake

2 Tablespoons AP (or whole wheat flour)
2 Tablespoons Sugar (or Splenda)
2 Tablespoons Baking Cocoa
1 Egg White
1 Tablespoon Milk (2 TBLSP if using whole wheat flour)
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
Dash of Vanilla
Dash of Salt
1 Tablespoon Chocolate Chips

Combine the flour, sugar, salt and cocoa in a bowl or mug.

Mix in the egg white, milk, oil and vanilla until completely combined.

Sprinkle the chocolate chips onto the top and cover slightly with batter, try not to push them down to the bottom.

Pop it into the microwave on high for 90 seconds, or until you can smell it and it is firm when touched in the center. It should not take more than 2 minutes.

Aaah, chocolate cake! Enjoy ASAP!

No comments: