Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Virginia

Virginia is my mother in law and I could not possibly have a better mother in law. Forget everything you've heard about that awful, snarl toothed, bother some creature that all brides fear. She is genuine and loving (in just the right proportions) and I could not have asked for a better candidate for grandmother of my (not-yet-in-existence) children. Don't get me wrong, we have our differences, but all in all I am thrilled to call her family.

This last month she officially added one year to her tally which brought her closer to that all elusive idea - retirement. I will not break my oath of womanhood and reveal her age to you, but she does look fabulous regardless of her "ahhhmmm" odd years on this earth. The happiness she finds in life is written on her face and the joy she finds in living emanates from her even in the middle of the night. I have never met a woman who so can be so graceful and welcoming at any odd hour of the night as she can.

Happy Birthday to the beautiful and graceful woman who raised my charming husband!


To celebrate, the family gathered and sang as she said a prayer (I just know this is what she does!) over the candles. I made her the cake and carried it across the state without so much as on icing accident along the way. Hooray!

Rich cake and skim milk...?

A pink lemonade cake...mmm....it was over all too soon.

To continue our celebration she and I had a lovely ladies lunch at the Menger in down town San Antonio. A beautifully presented buffet lunch with a supremely cute tea pot atop the dessert display.


Strawberry mouse, cheese cake, carrot cake, hummingbird cake...

Creamy champagne tartlettes and rich chocolate iced brownies...maybe we should celebrate un-birthdays this way every month!
Good thing my birthday is next month! I am brainstorming about celebration treats already!

1 comment:

Jenniffer said...

OMG! That teapot is absolutely adorable! I have always wanted to fruit/vegetable art like that but I just never seem to have the time!
Keep up the great work!

-Jenniffer
http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com