Thursday, August 7, 2008

Chewy Pecan Bars

This is possibly the strangest recipe I have ever made. It is strange because it is so simple and so tasty. I also find it odd that you melt the sugar in the eggs, but it works and is very delicious.

Growing up we always had pecans because they fell from a tree in my grandfather’s back yard. Little did I know that I was eating tiny bits of golden deliciousness. I say this only because I felt the need to hold my hand bag a little tighter when I saw the price of pecans in the market. It cost me five dollars for just one cup of pecans. When did that happen? Have I just not been paying attention? I have always eaten pecans as a snack, but now I feel that we will have to take out a loan to afford to keep up that habit.

I assume that one might be able to use other nuts in the recipe, but the pecans are truly perfect in it. I also must mention that this recipe is over 100 years old and has always been made with pecans. I will just have to suck it up and enjoy every last sweet & nutty crumb!

Normally I would replace the brown sugar with evaporated sugar cane and molasses, but leaving it as is makes it so very simple. The brown sugar package is 16 oz. and the pecans came in a one cup bag. The only way to make this easier would be to buy them ready made, but where could I find such a thing? Maybe that will be my next venture…?


Chewy Pecan Bars

16 oz. Light Brown Sugar
4 Eggs
2 Cups Flour
½ Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Chopped Pecans


Pre-heat the oven to 400F.

In a sauce pan combine the eggs and sugar; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves.

Remove pan from heat and mix in the remaining ingredients until smooth, leave the pecans for last.

Pour batter into a jelly roll or sheet pan that has been greased and floured. Make certain to level off the batter before placing it into the oven.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments: